Friday, August 18, 2006

Scan everything

How many workplaces scan? I suspect not too many. Yet the legal office and real estate agency are prime candidates.

Our legal practice pretty much only does property and commercial work. When we open a new file for a purchase we scan the Contract of Sale. Ditto when a property is sold the Contract is scanned. This is just the beginning. Leases, wills, title deeds. They all become digital documents. They are scanned, saved, archived and can be retrieved at any time for viewing, reviewing, printing, emailing and even marking up with electronic sticky notes. Best of all they are backed up. It is pretty hard to lose a document.

Yet the other day, I kicked myself for not scanning a police report. No prizes for guessing, the police report just disappeared. I swear I left it with an office assistant on her pile of stuff. This really irritated me but I had no-one to blame really except myself. I am a scan junkie. All those important and not so important personal documents get the once through the scanner treatment – passport, drivers licence, marriage and birth certificates and even the kids class lists. Bingo bango.

How much time is wasted or potentially saved if you and your staff have instant ready access to key client documents. Most estate agencies run a property management division. Why would you not scan each and every residential tenancy agreement or commercial lease?

No comments: