Friday, August 18, 2006

PC problems – upgrade your RAM

Whilst you dont get the Windows Blue Screen of Death so much these days, PCs can labour with having too many windows open, trouble printing large documents and generally grinding to a halt which calls for a reboot.

An agent called me and said he was having trouble printing a 126 page vendors statement. I downloaded the same document from the 247legal website but had no problem with printing it to my Xerox N2125. My PC is 12 months old and has 1Gb of RAM.

The problem I suspect was Nick’s PC needs a memory upgrade.

PCs which are now more than a couple of years old, probably only have 256Mb RAM. And even recently configured PCs have just 512Mb.

The simplest solution is double the memory for all your office PCs. All machines with 256, add another stick of 256. Ditto for machines with a 512 stick of RAM. Double it and your have a PC with 1Gb of RAM. A stick of RAM is about $50. You service your car don’t you.

No comments: