Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Thieves - Owner Corporation Certificate rip-off


I write as to a concern that I have in regard to the provision of Certificates issued by Body Corporate Management companies same being necessary for a proposed sale of a property covered by an operative Body Corporate.

I fully appreciate that the State Government effected statutory changes to the operation of Bodies Corporate primarily for the protection of the property owner.

Relatively recent changes were to some extent to ensure that Management companies had proper procedures in place and these alterations I do not have any problem with whatsoever.

My concern is as follows and I set out a particular circumstance that effects me personally.

I happen to retain ownership of a residential apartment at Docklands, Melbourne.

Due to the structure, the building is covered by three separate Bodies Corporate.

I am contemplating a sale of the subject property and when I contacted the Management Company I was provided with a varying range of fees for provision of Certificates depending on the timing of issue and the urgency of same.

The base fee for a 14 day certificate is set at $150-00.

In my case, I am charged for three certificates being a total of $450-00.

With respect, Mr Minister, the fees are an absolute disgrace given the levels associated.

The certificates are effectively a "single page document" (for each of the Bodies Corporate) and from a timing perspective, would take all of one minute to generate via a computer system.

I dont at any time have a problem with companies being remunerated for fair and reasonable work performed be it on a time basis or a service basis although having today checked with a number of other Body Corporate Management companies, the fees are fairly standard and the excuse given is that these were set by Government.

It is suggested that a more preferable method of Fee charging be adopted either being a "fair and reasonable" fee or possibly as a percentage of the annual Body Corporate fees paid in regard to the unit which would actually reflect the level of workload involved by the Management company.

By way of example, if one pays say $1000 pa for fees, may be a 5% fee be charged for the certificate being $50.

Signed by a pissed off client (name withheld)
Addressed to Tony Robinson MP
Date: 13 April 2010 9:18:23 PM
Subject: Re: Bodies Corporate - Fees

No comments: